Our History (as remembered by Linnea Miller Domz):
The Rose Garden Club was organized around 1945, by Adeline Bartlett. Linnea was a member of that Club. She “discovered” a National Gardener Magazine on vacation one year, and was intrigued by the idea that there was more to gardening than just the Rose Garden Club. She saw that there was a Flower Show School being held in Tucson, so she and Hobby St. Denis attended. They came back quite enthused about “federating” with National, which finally happened in 1963, with ten clubs in Reno, Fallon, Ely, Caliente, Pioche and Las Vegas.
The Nevada Garden Club has long met in Lorenzi Park, but originally the meetings were in a small building by the lake (currently used for after-school activities for handicapped youth). The present building was erected in 1970.
Who’s Who in Nevada Garden Clubs 2016 – Click here to read interviews from past Silver State Gardener newsletters.